Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Barking Wednesday - Holiday Dangers For Your Dog


Thanks for joining me for Barking Wednesday. Each week I will be posting info about my favorite guy ~ Kingers and his friends. All kinds of stuff ~ products ~ homemade treat recipes ~ info I have learned over the years. Info I think is helpful in making sure that every dog lives a fantastic life.


Being proactive can save your dog from harm this holiday season.  Holiday Season can be harmful to many pets. 


Here are a few ways to make your home a little safer.
  • Food issues ~ this is Kingers biggest issue! Be very careful about chocolate.  Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures and heart issues.  Make sure to keep all holiday food out of reach of your dog.  Watch out for nuts...nuts can cause serious issue Almonds, Walnuts and Pistachios. Macadamia and moldy Walnuts are toxic causing seizures, vomiting, loss of muscle control and lethargy. SERIOUS ISSUES   I always make sure to tell my guest NOT TO FEED Kingers while they are visiting.  A little taste from each guest can cause some serious problems for King's stomach. Here is a link to other foods that are dangerous to your dog.http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs
  • Gift wrapping ribbon if chewed can cause serious stomach issues and chocking.  Ribbon will twist in the intestines which will result in surgery - also tinsel on your tree!  Both cause serious issues if eaten by your pet.
  • Alcohol...NEVER give or allow anyone to give your dog alcohol.  Alcohol is absorbed into a dogs blood stream very quickly causing tremors, seizures and even death.
  • Your Christmas tree can cause lots of harm.  Ornaments are pretty and may look like a toy. Ornaments when eaten can cause lacerations in your dogs mouth, throat and intestines.  Ornaments have also been known to cause severe chocking issues.
  • Holiday lights are pretty - if your dog is a chewer make sure no lights are hanging down on the tree.  One bite may cause a electrical shock causing mouth lacerations and sometimes even death.
  • Be careful when you purchase your dogs holiday gift that you purchase a suitable toy. NO small pieces that a dog can chock on.  Kingers likes Kong's...they are safe and fun!
  • Candles if within reach of your dog can be extremely hazardous.  Dogs have gotten serious burns as a result of checking out candles. Not only can they burn your dog candles also can start a fire if knocked over.  Be very careful to keep candles out of reach from all pets.
  • Garbage...make sure to take out the garbage right away.  Leaving any trash that is easy access can cause not only a mess - but also can be harmful to the dog.
  • Snow globes from across the ocean have been found to contain anti-freeze.  Make sure that all of your snow globes are not within your dogs reach. Anti-freeze as little as 1 teaspoon can cause death.
  • Last but not least is your guest!  Please make sure you always offer a SAFE ROOM for your pet.  During the holidays serious dog bites have happened.  Kingers is not a social dog. Our home is very quiet 98% of the time. When we have company over I always make sure that King can go into the bedroom and stay if he likes.  Having a location for him to go to that is quiet and away from the noise is a must have.  Depending on who is visiting I may even put King in the bedroom when company arrives.  I also place his water and food dish in the room. My hubby and I will take turns making sure he is taken outside and given some TLC during his stay in our bedroom.

28 comments:

  1. This is so important for pet owners. I have to pay extra attention to what my dogs are getting into this time of the year. One of them is a paper fiend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! We have to make the holidays safe for our furry friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list of precautions. We don't have any pets right now but maybe one day we will and I will be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! Thank you for sharing, it is important to keep pets safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list... our dog got into Little Miss' birthday cake (which is a before Christmas) and he got so very sick... :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always sure to be careful with chocolate around my pup! She is so good around my tree, and home--thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really great tips. I don't have a dog, but we hope to get one in the future and I will be keeping this in mind! ps- your tree is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful reminders! we have a 12.5 year old dog and we try to keep our home safe for him

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fantastic article! This is our first Christmas with our new dog; and I was curious as to all the new things we were going to have to watch out for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I never thought about any of these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My SIL is a vet so we def know our animals. She got onto me for feeding turkey to the dog over thanksgiving....pancreantitis. (sp).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good tips. As a doggie mommy myself, I'll definitely be following these and passing them along. (Hard to believe you have to remind some people NOT to give their dog alcohol, but some people probably need a reminder!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the safe room is a great tip. Dogs get seriously stressed out with all the chaos of the holidays and it's so wrong to expect them not to! Poor guys. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy, are these great tips. I would like to add one more: Remember, if it's too cold outside for you, then it's too cold for dog too. (and this goes for us in the heat in the summer as well). thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad that you shared tips about our furry friends. So many tips out there are about kids and not pets. Thanks for reminding us to be careful

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't tend to have candles around the dogs, but hadn't thought of them sniffing them. (My chihuahua is afraid of candles.) Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am going to share this with my friends who have dogs. I never thought that almonds were bad for dogs, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips for keeping the fur babies safe during the holidays. My little stinkers are very bad beggers. I have to remind my girls that the pups only get dog treats, no human sweets. They are rotten when it comes to the trash. It is a good thing they are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tips! I always remember my parents telling me how dangerous chocolate was for our dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goodness! There are quite a few things that I didn't think of here, but I don't have a pet so I guess I wouldn't have.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is an important list for pet owners to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a good reminder for everyone with pets! Especially when gift giving to people with animals! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. food is our biggest obstacle-- nothing can be on the floor- not even purses!

    ReplyDelete
  24. we do not have a dog, we wish we did but my daughter has allergies. Sounds like great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great tips!
    I will have to pass this on to my friends with fur babies :0)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't have a dog but I never realized so many things and food can cause damage to dogs.. I will pass this along to a few family members that have furry family members

    ReplyDelete