Thanks for joining me for Barking Wednesday. Each week I will be posting info about my favorite guy ~ Kingers and his friends. All kinds of stuff ~ products ~ homemade treat recipes ~ info I have learned over the years. Info I think is helpful in making sure that every dog lives a fantastic life.
Here are a few ways to make your home a little safer.
- Food issues ~ this is Kingers biggest issue! Be very careful about chocolate. Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures and heart issues. Make sure to keep all holiday food out of reach of your dog. Watch out for nuts...nuts can cause serious issue Almonds, Walnuts and Pistachios. Macadamia and moldy Walnuts are toxic causing seizures, vomiting, loss of muscle control and lethargy. SERIOUS ISSUES I always make sure to tell my guest NOT TO FEED Kingers while they are visiting. A little taste from each guest can cause some serious problems for King's stomach. Here is a link to other foods that are dangerous to your dog.http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-dogs
- Gift wrapping ribbon if chewed can cause serious stomach issues and chocking. Ribbon will twist in the intestines which will result in surgery - also tinsel on your tree! Both cause serious issues if eaten by your pet.
- Alcohol...NEVER give or allow anyone to give your dog alcohol. Alcohol is absorbed into a dogs blood stream very quickly causing tremors, seizures and even death.
- Your Christmas tree can cause lots of harm. Ornaments are pretty and may look like a toy. Ornaments when eaten can cause lacerations in your dogs mouth, throat and intestines. Ornaments have also been known to cause severe chocking issues.
- Holiday lights are pretty - if your dog is a chewer make sure no lights are hanging down on the tree. One bite may cause a electrical shock causing mouth lacerations and sometimes even death.
- Be careful when you purchase your dogs holiday gift that you purchase a suitable toy. NO small pieces that a dog can chock on. Kingers likes Kong's...they are safe and fun!
- Candles if within reach of your dog can be extremely hazardous. Dogs have gotten serious burns as a result of checking out candles. Not only can they burn your dog candles also can start a fire if knocked over. Be very careful to keep candles out of reach from all pets.
- Did you know that pine needles from the tree if eaten by your dog can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy? Poinsettias can cause severe mouth irritations and vomiting. Be every careful with all plants. Mistletoe and Holly are also dangerous for your dog. Here is a link to other toxic plants. Check them out! http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/education/pet-poisons-and-toxins/toxic-plants-for-pets.aspx
- Garbage...make sure to take out the garbage right away. Leaving any trash that is easy access can cause not only a mess - but also can be harmful to the dog.
- Snow globes from across the ocean have been found to contain anti-freeze. Make sure that all of your snow globes are not within your dogs reach. Anti-freeze as little as 1 teaspoon can cause death.
- Last but not least is your guest! Please make sure you always offer a SAFE ROOM for your pet. During the holidays serious dog bites have happened. Kingers is not a social dog. Our home is very quiet 98% of the time. When we have company over I always make sure that King can go into the bedroom and stay if he likes. Having a location for him to go to that is quiet and away from the noise is a must have. Depending on who is visiting I may even put King in the bedroom when company arrives. I also place his water and food dish in the room. My hubby and I will take turns making sure he is taken outside and given some TLC during his stay in our bedroom.