Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Barking Wednesday - IBUPROFEN can kill a dog

This week on Barking Wednesday I wanted to let everyone know how dangerous IBUPROFEN is for dogs. 
The ASPCA Poison Control Center rates Ibuprofen the number one reason for dog poisoning.
This information is from the ASPCA database:
  • 25-125mg per kg of body weight – symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers;
  • more than 175mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus blood in the stools, acute kidney failure;
  • more than 400mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus seizures, coma, disorientation;
  • more than 600mg per kg of body weight – death.
The ASPCA has reported a case where 3mg per kg of body weight given every other day for six weeks proved fatal.
Ibuprofen sold over the counter contains anywhere from 50mg to 200mg per tablet; each prescription tablet may contain 800mg of Ibuprofen. Given a dog’s propensity to eat everything in front of their noses, a packet of Ibuprofen tablets left within their reach can do a lot of damage.
Symptoms can take anywhere from 12 hours to several days to show. However, if you suspect your dog has ingested Ibuprofen take him to the vet immediately. Any tablets consumed must be flushed out of your dog’s system as quickly as possible to improve his chances of a full recovery.
Always contact your vet before giving your dog any over the counter medication. Giving your dog the wrong medication could kill him.

23 comments:

  1. I have given my dog aspirin before (at a veterinarian's discretion). Who knew ibuprofen was so dangerous and potentially lethal to dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so scary! We're very careful that our pets do not get into anything,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never even thought that you could even animals people meds. This sounds really scary and I would definitely ask a vet before giving any animal anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know why anyone would feed their pet painkillers without a Vet's supervision! I'm glad you've brought this up to warn others about the risks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great information. I wasn't aware that Ibuprofen could hurt a dog. I will share this with friends and family that have pets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is terrifying! It is so amazing how such common items can be so dangerous to our loved pets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard terrible things about ibuprofen and dogs. One of my relatives had a dog that got into some and it cost thousands of dollars to save their dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I never would have thought this. However I do remember when my dog broke his leg a few years back we had to give him 10mg asprin.I was always wondering why it was so low, but makes sense. I would for sure ask a vet before giving any of my pets anything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the information! I had no idea Ibuprofen could kill dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know that, but am very careful what we give to our pets. I've heard that so many things are dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know this! Thank you for the information. Anything to keep my pups safe is worth knowing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I had no clue! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that's good to know. I had no idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know this, but then again I've never been a dog owner. I will pass this info along to my mom, just in case she doesn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes, I had no idea! Glad we've never done this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know this info. You're probably right though that it's not a stretch a dog will eat it if it's within reach!

    ReplyDelete
  17. People should know that just about everything in their homes can be toxic to their pets if given too much. People meds are no exception. If you have a pet, you should see a vet, not try to medicate yourself. I have given my pets aspirin and benedyrl, but after I consulted with a vet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never would have even thought to give my precious furbaby ibuprofen. I sure wouldn't want to hurt him!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's very good info to know. I wouldn't have thought about it, but it makes me even more careful pets don't get ahold of these.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great information here. I had no idea it was so harmful for pets.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this. We keep all of our medicine in a plastic storage container in a child proofed cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I had no idea! I will sharing this, I have a lot of friends with dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have two dogs and didn't know this! Thanks for the tip, I will be careful with my pills in the home.

    ReplyDelete