Monday, October 20, 2014

Carbon Monoxide, the Silent Cold Weather Killer




Before we know it COLD weather will be here!!

I wanted to share with you information on Carbon Monoxide, the Silent Cold Weather Killer.

Thousands of deaths each year are the result of carbon monoxide poisoning.



Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning include:
Dizziness
Fatigue
Headache
Nausea
Irregular Breathing 

Preventive Maintenance of CO producing appliances is a MUST. Here are a few warning signs that your appliances might be an issue for CO:
* A decreasing hot water supply
* A furnace that runs constantly and is unable to heat your home
* Soot on appliances or furnace - also in your attic
* Increased condensation on the inside of your windows
* Rusting or water streaks on vents, flues, or your chimney

The best thing you can do to ensure that you are protected from Carbon Monoxide is to have a working Carbon Monoxide detector installed in your home.  

I purchased a new Carbon Monoxide tester from our local True Value Hardware store. The detector was only $14.99 - very cheap way to protect our home.

For more information on carbon monoxide you can check out the Official CO Website

55 comments:

  1. We don't have one of these in our house, and now I am scratching my head as to why. We need one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need one. CO is NOT to be messed with, super scary!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you mentioned this today because I had forgotten that my battery died on mine last month. I have GOT to get a new unit now. This is important stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's VERY important. I forwarded this to my hubby so he can get us one!

      Delete
    2. Ours died last winter and we didn't notice for about a week! Luckily nothing happened but we are much more careful now.

      Delete
  3. We do have a detector thank goodness. When our new heating system came last year it was not connected right, it went off in the middle of the night. Probably saved all of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just changed our batteries as a precaution! I also work in the health field and put up flyers all around our waiting room. Here in Baltimore, a winter does not go by with carbon monoxide poisoning in a low income area. So sad considering the fire department will install them for free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We almost died from this when we lived in NYC in our apartment before they started making them mandatory. This is scary and so when we got our house in CO we made sure there was one on every floor. I have the one that talks and lets you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have one in our house - and I really need to check the battery! It's right up there in importance as our smoke detectors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a monitor in almost every room. Having a gas stove really freaks me out for this reason. But I love how fast I can cook on it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have one of these in my duplex, but then again, my slumlord thought it was fine that we don't have smoke detectors either.... *SMH*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing. Your post reminded me to check all of our CO alarms and detectors. We have to replace the batteries. Good post with informational links.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so dangerous... I always dread reading about people who died from the poisoning. It's just awful. Thank you for providing warning signals - I'll always try to be on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stories lately have been so scary! I couldn't imagine people dealing with this silent killer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the reminder.
    Winter is just around the corner.
    We don't park our vehicles in the garage so we don't have that threat but we defiantly need to get a monitor just for peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm putting this on my list to buy, because CO poisoning is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a detector it's law here to have one. We got one one very floor just to be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've got to be careful of carbon monoxide, especially if you have a fire place. If it doesn't vent correctly, you could be in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have natural gas heaters in our home, so we have to be very careful about Carbon Monoxide! I've heard scary things about people having issues with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I probalby need to add new ones to our house, We have the same one from 2006/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had no clue what the symptoms were... this is such great info. I totally need to look into getting a monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never even thought about buying one of these but now I'm going to go out and get one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing the info about carbon monoxide. We need to get a detector for our house.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so scary! It's really important to have one of these detectors. We really need to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the education, I had no clue. Sounds like a great product.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never really thought about the fact that it's more dangerous in the winter. Especially with the windows closed, less ventilation in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We do have carbon monoxide detectors, but you reminded me to check our batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for this, you totally reminded me that we need to pick up a new Carbon Monoxide Alarm. It's so incredibly important to have!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is SUCH good information. It really is a super dangerous thing. I agree with you, every home needs a detector.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for posting about this! It's such a fear of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You gave this warning at a great time. Many people are making final wedding preparations and need this info.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for bringing this point up. We often don't think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Luckily, we don't have to worry about this too much here in Florida, but we do have a Carbon Monoxide alarm in our home just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  31. CO alarm sounds like something we all need. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My parents have a CO detector. But they have a 30 year old furnace so it was much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I want to get one of these for us, and one for my two grown children who have places of their own. I think they're every bit as important as the fire detectors.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is really scary when you think about it.. Thank you for this reminder to always be safe when it comes to this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am glad you are bringing awareness to this issue! We have a 2 CO detectors in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow...I need to check ours! Those statistics are so frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Carbon Monoxide really scares me because it's the silent and odorless killer. I worry about this when we are at our hunting camp trying to keep warm in the cold winter months. Thanks for the great info.

    ReplyDelete
  38. we installed one this past spring. I love feeling safe

    ReplyDelete
  39. I need to get one of these! I have been looking into one and I really need to stop just thinking and get one.

    ReplyDelete
  40. We have ours tuned up and ready to go! Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. We just changed our batteries in ours and are all ready to go! Thank you for the reminder - this is an easy one to forget about.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is something to keep in mind for sure. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Call me crazy, but I even take our Kidde detector on the road with us. There have been plenty of people who have been poisoned at hotels. You'd think they would do a better job at installing detectors, but if you look around you won't see any.

    ReplyDelete
  44. We have a few of these exact alarms in our house. They are wonderful. I love fall and I am so not ready for the Michigan winters yet.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is such a simple and inexpensive way to protect your family. I've heard some real horror stories from people who didn't have them and should have.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks for sharing this. I really had no clue about these warning signs. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  47. We need a new carbon monoxide detector. It's soo scary to think about something that's soo easily overlooked posing such a danger to us.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Having a carbon monoxide detector is definitely important. There are way too many deaths caused by not having one.

    ReplyDelete
  49. We really need to get a detector. Thank you for sharing this important reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  50. this is a worry of mine. we have a co monitor and it makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I was recently at a pregnant friend's house, and helped her install one of these. It is such an important safety precaution.

    ReplyDelete
  52. My little brother got my family a Carbon Monoxide Detector for Christmas one year. I think it is probably the most thoughtful gift I've ever gotten!

    ReplyDelete