Dave & Darla are regulars at their local Farmer's Market - selling honey. We laughed because Dave says few know his name everyone calls him the Bee Man.
During our visit Dave & Darla were telling us some amazing facts about bees.
DID YOU KNOW -
* 1/3 of the US diets is derived from insect-pollinated plants
* Honey Bees are responsible for 80% of all insect-pollination
* Without Honey Bees - crops would be reduced and some crops would not yield at all.
* Honey bees visit millions of blossoms in their lifetime
* California, Florida, Minnesota, Montana and North & South Dakota are the leading honey producing states.
* Bee keepers often migrate their bee hives to provide pollination services to farmers across the USA.
* Honey Bees are the only insect that produces a food consumed by humans.
* Honey is considered one of the most versatile ingredient on the market today.
* Honey is a humectant (it attracts and retains moisture) - You can add a little honey to your normal moisturizing routine - natural moisturizer
* Honey is slightly sweeter than sugar - so less can be used in recipes - natural sweetener
* Honey acts a binder and thickener for sauces, marinades, dips & dressing - natural thickener
* Honey has it's own unique flavor it also balances and enhances the flavor profiles of other ingredients in a recipe
* Honey has 17 grams of carbohydrates and 64 calories a teaspoon - the all natural energy booster
* Honey has been used for years as a cough suppressant - one to two teaspoons of honey will soothe and relieve the irritation of a cough - natural medicine
* Honey is a natural product for adults and children - however it is NOT recommended for infants under one year of age
Darla gave me a very useful conversion chart for using honey instead of sugar - check out how easy it is to use natural honey instead of sugar:
For sauces, marinades and salad dressings, substitute pure honey for up to half the granulated sweetener in a recipe.
To Bake with honey - use pure honey for up to half the granulated sweetener in a recipe:
For Each 1 Cup of Honey Used:
* Reduce any liquid by 1/4 cup
* Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* Reduce Oven temp by 25 degrees
If you are interested in purchasing D's B's Natural Raw & Unfiltered Honey give them a call at 715-596-0024 ~ the Bee Man will gladly ship his tasty natural honey to all locations in the USA.
Amazing benefits of using honey. Make sure to check out the National Honey Board website for more amazing info on honey.